Puly Caff Liquid Descaler for Espresso or Coffee Machines
Descaling is necessary if the espresso machine is using hard water and had accumulated a lot of minerals.
Severe amount of mineral build-ups can cause sensors unable to work effectively creating various forms of issues. It can be hazardous.
We do not recommend using hard or Alkaline water for coffee machines as the first line of defence.
This product is for any coffee machines, particularly for espresso machines with boilers.
Descaling can be a challenging process and not for amateurs. For the best effect with the least damage, it should be done by a qualified technician.
Puly Caff Liquid Descaler for Espresso or Coffee Machines is in liquid form, is food grade and in individual bottles for easier storage.
The liquid version can be used in room temperature water and studied to have the maximum performances and safe on yellow metals boilers (copper, brass) and INOX.
It can also be used for small domestic coffee machines, water heaters, kettles, etc.
If the water source is soft and the machine wasn’t for commercial heavy duty usage, descaling is not necessary until 2-3 years later, else it’s recommended to be done yearly.
Using a water softener or using distilled water as a preventive measure is more recommended than worrying about descaling.
Users can use this product for regular preventive descaling to clear light layers of build up before it accumulates.
If the water source is hard, it’s necessary to connect to a water softener before water intake else it will require descaling much sooner.
The instructions below are for clearing light layers of build-ups and can be taken as a preventive descaling from massive build ups.
If your machine wasn’t purchased from Fine Coffee Company, please refer to your vendor for instructions.
For light and preventive descaling, it’s possible that the user can do it themselves.
For severe cases, please contact a qualified serviceman.
Do note that the instructions below is not sufficient to clean serious amount of scales.
Please refer to a qualified technician if you suspect that your machine has a huge amount of mineral build ups.
The below instructions serve for machines sold by Fine Coffee Company and is not applicable to every brand in the market.
Please refer to your machine’s user instructions for more information.
How much to purchase?
The product comes with two bottles of 125ml of Liquid Descaler.
For every 125ml of descaler, mix with 400ml of water.
Thus, two bottles will create a mixture of 1050ml of the descaling agent.
You will need to purchase the amount according to the size of your boiler + 1000ml extra(per grouphead).
A Bezzera Magica/Mitica, or Strega.
It has a 2 litres boiler with a single grouphead
You will need six bottles of descalers.
A Bezzera BZ13/BZ10
It has a 1.5 Litres boiler with a single grouphead
You will need 5.5 bottles of descalers
Single Boiler and Heat Exchangers
Draining the boiler.
1. Heat up machine regularly till it’s ready and pressurised.
2. Switch off the machine and immediately drain the boiler by releasing water from the water wand. If there’s no water wand, release from the grouphead followed by the steam wand.
Filling boiler with descaling agent
3a. If the machine has a water tank.
i) Replace the water in the tank with an appropriate amount of descaling agent.
3b. If the machine doesn’t have a water tank and can only draw water from a water network.
i) Get ready a water container that can store the amount of descaling agent.
ii) Disconnect water hose from the water network and place hose into the water container containing the descaling agent.
4. Switch on the machine. The machine should draw the descaling agent into the boiler.
5. Flush about 10 seconds out from the grouphead, steam wand and water wand, then leave it for 60 minutes.
6. Repeat step 2.
7. [Optional] You can pour the agent back to redo the descaling a few times, be careful not to pour any residues in. Repeat step 2 to 5
Rinsing with clean water
8. Repeat step 2
9. Replace water tank with a tank of clean water or reconnect back to the water network. Make sure the water tank was cleaned first.
10. Switch on the machine to draw clean water into the boiler
11. Flush about 10 seconds out from the grouphead, steam wand and water wand. Rest for 60 seconds.
12. Repeat rinsing via step 8 to 11 for three times or until the water is clean.
It is not possible to fully drain out the descaler from the boiler.
For a short moment of time after descaling, the water may seem to have more bubbles or have a light odour
It is food grade and will diminish after a period of usage.
It is important to remember that vibration pumps should not work for 2 minutes without 1 minute of rest. Rotary pumps should never run without water passing.
We will suggest requesting for professional help due to the complications.
1. NEVER allow your pump to activate for more than 60 seconds. Stop and allow an equal period of rest time after each activation.
2. DO NOT perform descaling and grouphead flushing with detergent back to back or together, keep them done separately at intervals of few days of use later.
3. Flakes of scales and impurities can cause technical issues after descaling. Fine Coffee Company will not guarantee and does not warrant user’s machines from malfunctioning after descaling.
Puly Caff is a subsidiary unit from Asachimici group who had been formulating cleaners for the food industry since 1890.
The brand Puly Caff was specially established for the coffee sector and their products are of the highest premium standard formulated by chemists with baristas.
It is the most preferred brand used by professionals and households in Italy and for most demanding.
Highly recommended by established manufacturers of espresso machines, particularly Bezzera, the mechanist family who invented the first espresso machines.
All Puly Caff products are made in Italy.